Thursday, December 11, 2008

Childhood - Revisited

Assalamualaikum bloggie...

Last week my kampung went through a medium-scale flood. I was so teruja and took the liberty to jalan-jalan in the kampung. The last time I did that was 10 years ago? may be ...it was so long I hardly remembered. Most of my play-mates in the kampung either have grown up, married with 5 children or ..dead (passed on......ishh..mulut....hehe)

with my RED payung ...I jalan-jalan ...i ended up here...

20 years ago, THAT is a HUGE field with nothing. It was a flat barren land. During the floodtime, water would fill up to chest level and my friends and I used to kayuh rakit here, swimming tok sah kata laa....diving from pokok mangga tepi tebing tu ...and tangkap ikan ...hahahahahaha gosh....those were my childhood time back then. tua nya rasa sekarang ....hahahahaha. Now that place is somehow smaller and full of bushes. no more children playing around ...they were busy with playstation 3,4,5,6,7. The houses were a lot bigger in the area...brick some more ...people getting richer and nature is diminishing.....I sat there for a while ...till a neighbor greeted me "Tie ek...." (that was my sister's name btw, in the kampong the whole village definitely know your family lineage...thanks to keypochiness-er around...) and I replied "no...u got my sister's name, am the youngest one..." and the "oooOOOOOOooooo....." yeah......try thinking harder....He left me sitting in one corner looking at the place ...as I was reminiscing my Life back then. I could hear my voice screaming around kampong with bola kaki tiga (rounders laaaa) and then the "Main Boyo (buaya)", cop the Pokok Kelapa and all the whatnots la.....tu belum kira "Main Pekong Tin" hmmm...bodo nya aku dulu ...hahahahahaha for the sake of Games , we'd fight and have 'enemies'. We'd formed our own clan during Mengaji Quran (hahahahahaha....oh God, I could go on and on......)

Then I step a bit further to the Beach, where I used to play around since I was born. Here...

Due to the Monsoon season, years after years ....the Beach has gone thru massive erosion. Only this part of the beach left for the visitors to see. The rests have been set up with embankment along the shorelines...if u walk straight along the lines, it'll bring you to PCB. The folks used to have Wayang kulit @Shadow Play on this beach. 30 years ago, it was a place of sacrifices for the Buddhist to float their Sea Gods (Dewa Laut). I remember, at 2 or 3 am we would be woken up by the chanting of their manteras from the lorry and they carried a giant burning josstick from God knows where and spreaded the ashes of the Deads into the sea and floated the offerings ...According to Geography of the folks, should it manage to float, it'll reach Vietnam on the other side. Amazing, isn't it. Those were the images I can still remember growing up. My aunts, sisters and I would sit at our big window and watched the parade of the Deads. Now. No more. They might have found new "places" for the Deads (may be...)

Then, I walked to the other side, where I used to fish..Ikey Puyu! Here...

20 years ago there we no houses. It was a barren land too. former bendang. it was a massive paddy field when I was a baby. Kat sini la aku meredah selut...hahahahaha mancing puyu...catching grasshopper for the baits, and sini jugak la aku meraung ....kene gigit lintah.hahahaha the lintah-remover would be my 'gang'. They'd come and helped me out. I love being a boss back then. hahahahahahahaha. They had to love me I think, coz I whine a lot hahahaha. It was fun growing up with them. Now, I don't know where they are. Around, but it is me who hardly around. hehehehehe. Most of them didn't even recognize me anymore ....or they simply have forgotten the good times we've shared. I remembered when this was a paddy field, I would hang out with the folks ..disturbing them kepuk padi and cutting watermelon and shared it with other children and orang-orang tua. hmmm...how times have flown. How people have changed.....How politic REEKS...

Those photos were taken 2 days after the flood. I would never go out if the water is still there coz it wasn't as clean as before. People indiscriminately throw rubbish and domestic waste around these days.

What I miss most in my Kampong are the peacefulness and lovingkindness among the People. Unity and harmony are barely exist. Respect, is even way out of question. When you have money, you can talk about respect, otherwise, nobody gives a damn. The culture is reversing and the Malays? Deteriorating.........(pathetic.....)

I have more to share....NEXT!

No comments: